Do you often find stubborn stains on the linens you just washed? Otherwise, are your clothes still smelled musty, although you have washed them clean? When it comes to you, it means that you need to learn how to clean washing machine properly.
Know that the musty smell on your laundry appears due to the mold and bacteria lodged in the washing machine. It happens because there are much residual dirt, detergent, and the remaining soaking water that starts to settle in the tub every after you finish the regular cycle.
That is why a well-run deep cleaning for your washer is needed so that your clothes can stay fresh and smell good all day.
Below are how to clean washing machine at home without spending a lot of money. Before you follow these systematic steps, make sure you check whether your washer already has a clean tube cycle and cleaning procedures or not to prevent damage.
How to Clean Washing Machine with Vinegar and Baking Soda
You need to take five steps to clean your washing machine using white vinegar and baking soda in general. Please pay attention to some different treatments between the top loader and front loader washer so that you can get a maximum result.
- Ensure the washing machine is empty of any laundry and free of dust or other dirt, then run a regular cycle using hot water.
- Pour 2 cups of white vinegar into the soap dispenser; let it mix for a few minutes. White vinegar functions to get rid of the musty smell as well as prevent the growth of bacteria and mold. Therefore, you do not need to wonder that it will damage your clothes.
- Take another bucket; prepare a 1/4 cup white vinegar solution with one liter of warm water. It is useful to clean the washing machine’s entire exterior and interior, especially the soap dispenser, the tubes’ corner, and the lid area.
Use a microfiber cloth or toothbrush to scrub each section.
- Empty the drum again, and then continue with the second regular cycle. This time, mix hot water with 1/2 cup of baking soda. Baking soda is sufficient to clean up the residue from the previous cleaning process.
- When finished, dry the entire washing machine with a microfiber cloth and leave the lid open for the next few hours to prevent moisture.
Tips on How To Clean Washing Machine Top Loader
Top loader washers are known to have more residue than front loaders. Thus, apart from cleaning the tub’s part with a microfiber cloth dipped in vinegar, the on-and-pause method is also recommended in this cleaning process.
After adding hot water and vinegar in the first regular cycle stage, you can leave the machine running for one minute. Then, pause the cycle and let the vinegar soak for an hour. After that, you can continue a deep cleaning by scrubbing it.
Tips for the Front Loaders
When discussing how to clean washing machine front load, the main concern is the door and gaskets’ rubber seals. The lid areas and pipe gaskets often become the breeding ground for mold and bacteria that cause your clothes to be musty.
To resolve this, all you need to do is spray the distilled white vinegar or diluted bleach solution to clean these parts. Leave it for about a minute, and you can continue to wipe it with a microfiber cloth or toothbrush.
What About Cleaning with Liquid Chlorine Bleach
Many people are curious about how to clean washing machine with bleach after hearing that chlorine can keep your washer spotless. However, you must know that bleach indeed can prevent the molds and bacteria growth, but not in removing the residual dirt.
The only way to keep your washing machine clean is to do regular cleaning, generally once a month. Besides, your habit of using the washer daily will also affect its condition. Therefore, try to do these things.
- Leave the washer’s door open when it is not in use. That is essential to prevent your washing machine from dampness.
- Dry the drum with a microfiber cloth after each use. You cannot skip this ultimate step on how to clean washing machine in your daily use.
- Clean your soap dispenser regularly. If your dispenser is removable, you can soak it in the vinegar solution first and then scrub its every corner using a toothbrush.
- Use the right detergent. It would be better to use a special detergent for washing machines and pay attention to the amount of washing powder you put. The more soap you use, the more dirt residue will stick to your washer.
Are There Other Methods And Materials That Are Effective In Cleaning A Washing Machine?
Of course, there are many washers’ cleaning ingredients that you can find in supermarkets such as Affresh or Tide Washing Machine Cleaner Tablets. Generally, the cleaning tablets are put inside the washing machine when used, not in a soap dispenser.
That is all about how to clean washing machine properly, complete with the tips you can follow. Say goodbye to musty odors, then welcome to a clean and fresh washing machine!
I’m a passionate home and garden enthusiast and the founder of Materialsix Home. With over 10 years of experience in the field, I’ve cultivated a deep love for all things related to home improvement, gardening, and interior design. Read more…